All members are welcome to participate in whatever capacity according to their skills. UNKLESA is diverse and you can only help improve it. We need office volunteers to make sure our office is open every day. We also welcome multi-lingual volunteers to facilitate members that are less fluent in English.
We invite you also to join one (or more) working groups. Please contact the UNKLESA office at all time if you wish to sign up.
WG1: Orientation (Coordinator, Janice Turyatunga)
- Supports newly arriving UN staff with various services that include meet & greet at the airport, finding accommodation and schools, liaising with UN Host Country Relations Unit on behalf of the staff member.
- Currently provides orientation services to assist families of UNON, UNEP, UN-Habitat to settle into their new duty station
Success: In 2016, orientation handled 7 clients earning UNKLESA $1,408. The Team presented UNKLESA orientation services to human resources staff at WFP Somalia, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The three offices are reviewing the proposal with a possibility of joining orientation or taking agency membership.
WG2: Training and skills development (Coordinator, Natalia QuirozKamiya)
- Support members’ professional development and assists with networking and job-search information both within and outside the UN.
- Organises career support –through participating in local induction and training programmes and seeks opportunities for members to maintain and develop transferable skills and competences so that they can re-enter the workforce.
- Circulates information pertaining to training opportunities and online courses for expatriate spouses.
Success: The group developed a good relationship with UNON’s Staff Development and Training Unit enabling training of members on Personal History Profile (PHP) and Competency Based Interviews (CBI) courses. So far, six UNKLESA members have received training to deliver basic courses in completion of the PHP, and CBI. Two training were successfully rolled out to 15 UNKLESA members in May and November 2016.
WG3: Family & peer support (Coordinator, Stijn Taal)
- Fulfills two core roles: assisting families in making the most of their Kenya experience by encouraging family-focused activities, and supporting families that need assistance in dealing with difficulties in the transition.
- Organizes regular professional or social gatherings (coffee mornings, talks, excursions etc), when possible invites a speaker from the UN system or outside the UN to address members g. on formal agreements with host government to facilitate issuance of temporary work permits to UN expatriate spouses)
- Makes UNKLESA introduction presentation every Thursdays at the Induction and Security briefings.
- Updates and shares the “Welcome Information Pack” containing critical information to assistnewly-arrived spouses and partners settle into Nairobi and find career and employment support.
Success: Organised five family-focused activities attended by 96 members and supported new arrivals in dealing with difficulties in the transition: children and school assimilation, cultural- and language-based issues and other concerns arising from international move and relocation.
WG4: Networking (Coordinator, Chianghua Hereward)
- Provides leadership on building relationships with the UN Resident Coordinator, who in coordination with UN Country Team in Kenya is responsible for ensuring that the UNDG Guidance Note is effectively implemented.
- Interacts with Heads of Agencies and Heads of Departments to negotiate collaborations, exchange information and explore innovation for employment opportunities for spouses.
Success: The working group met with over 38 United Nations senior managers to introduce UNKLESA, its mandate and possible areas of collaboration. These meetings improved the visibility, awareness and understanding of UNKLESA and its work. As a result of the networking, UNKLESA provided 106 members with opportunities to pursue career interests through jobs, consultancies (in UNON, UNEP, UN-Habitat, WFP, UNESCO, and UNICEF) and non-remunerated actives such as training and volunteer work.
WG5: Website (Coordinator, Stefan De Groote)
- Oversees hosting and maintenance of UNKLESA website and Facebook page
- Provides the association with communication and promotion tools including social media.
- updates the UNKLESA website